My next recipe is one that I make all the time. It freezes well and I truly love the way it tastes. Because it incorporates vegetables with meats and beans, it’s a balanced meal for any family. I like serving this meal to introduce my children to beans. It can be served over whole grain rice if you want too.
Black Bean Soup Freezer Meal Recipe
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1 lb Turkey sausage (remove sausage from skin and crumble in pan)
2 15 oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup of onions chopped
1 cup of frozen red pepper and green pepper
1 cup of celery chopped
2 tsp garlic minced
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper (can be omitted)
1 “no chicken” or chicken bouillon cube
1 8 oz cup of tomato sauce
1 cup of water
- Add the Olive Oil to a hot pan.
- Remove the skin from the turkey sausage and break up and brown in a dutch oven. Cook till almost completely brown. It should take about 10 minutes.
- Add rest of ingredients, bring to a boil and cover for 25 minutes.
- Let cool and add to a freezer bag. Freeze for future use.
- When ready to eat, defrost in a bowl or dutch oven. The bag may leak.
- Remove from plastic bag and cook for 15 minutes or until boiling. Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water if you want it to be more like a soup and less like a chili.
- Serve warm topped with shredded cheddar cheese.
What do you think?
Here’s the recipe for your convenience.
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.