OK, I know what you are thinking, “A Purging Party? Will that really help me get my place in order? I am so embarrassed with my home that I don’t want to share the mess with someone else.”
First, everyone has some form of mess in their home. It could be in their closet, garage, shed, or living room. Everyone has their collection they keep and no one should judge you for your space and how you keep it. If your friends and family truly care for you, they will help without judgement. So, put away the embarrassing thoughts. See the step by step instructions for the organizing purging party.
- Determine the disaster area in your home you want to purge and organize. These areas could be: Garage, Home Office, Kitchen, Large Walk-in Bedroom Closet, Playroom.
- Decide what needs organizing. Here are some examples:
- Clear out your home office of old papers from the filing cabinet.
- Clear out and organize your garage into workstations.
- Clear out the kids’ playroom and give the toys to a non-profit organization.
- Whatever area you want to purge and organize, make sure you are specific in the details.
- Enlist everyone in your household to help with overseeing the purging process. Draw on their strengths. If your husband is great at doing the bills and knows what to keep and get rid of, have him oversee the old paper purging. Since your kids know what they love and play with in their playroom, have them oversee what goes and stays.
- Decide what you want to give them to eat and drink. After all, it is a party. People are there to socialize and help out. So, you should offer them something for their help.
- Decide on a date, time, and estimated duration. Depending on how many people you decide to invite, it may take 4-6 hours for the process to complete if the room needs a complete overhaul.
- Determine how you will do the purge process. Will you first check the paper or item, then hand it off to the next person for actions like shredding, recycling, etc…? Will you tell people to purge an area without you seeing it? Decide this before people come over so not to waste time. Do you want to have a game to see who can finish purging first?
This organizing purging party will not only get your place in order, it will get it in order faster than if you do it yourself – way faster.
I would love to hear your comments and thoughts on the idea of a ‘Organizing Purging Party’. Did it work for you? Did you clear your space quickly? What would you suggest to do for the party that is not on the step-by-step instructions? Please leave a message below.