Negative talk can easily stop anyone from clearing the clutter. Statements like,
“I can’t do this!”
“I won’t be able to handle it.”
“I will never get rid of any of this stuff.”
“I spent lots of money on all this stuff. It’s like throwing money away if I get rid of it.”
“I don’t deserve to have a relaxing home.”
“I must be crazy for making this mess.”
“I am so embarrassed. I can’t believe I did this.”
Sounds familiar? After 20 years working with people clearing their clutter, I heard some of these statements at one point or another while going through decluttering. And, it really takes a toll on the people.
I am here to tell you that it is OK and you are not alone. Here are tips that will help you overcome negative talk to motivate you to take action and complete you organizing projects. Take a deep breath, and let’s begin.
- Create realistic goals. Make smaller, easy to complete, goals that will help you got through projects. Starting out with 15 minute goals work nicely. This will give you the confidence to move on and complete the project. Here are links to my 15 minute posts.
- Create affirmations: Doing this will keep you positive and allow you to focus on the action not the negative talk. Here are 10 Affirmation Quotes to Change Your Year for the Better post I wrote. Feel free to share the images.
- Smile: This easy and simple task will help you feel more content with your life. If you don’t believe it, try it for a day and see how it changes your outlook and your negative talk.
- Be aware of what you hear and see: We are influenced by our surroundings every day. Surround yourself with positive and inspiring sounds and sights. Be aware of what you watch and listen to on television and social media. Facebook allows you to customize what you see, so take advance of it. To do this, click the top right of the post and select “I don’t want to see this”. Also, these days, the news is everywhere. So, be aware of how much news you watch and how it influences your mood. If it influences you, maybe cut back to once a day. Or maybe read instead of listen or watching the news. Be aware of the people around you. Make sure they do not influence you as well.
- Remind yourself that you have control of the situation: You are responsible and you are capable to clear the clutter.
To help you get even more motivated and overcome negative talk that stops you from clearing the clutter, here are some quotes. Feel free to share.
“You’re going to go through tough times – that’s life. But I say, ‘Nothing happens to you, it happens for you.’
See the positive in negative events.”
“Positive anything is better than negative anything.”
~ Elbert Hubbard
“Our minds are powerful. Only allow in what supports and motivates you to be a better you.”
~ Sabrina Quairoli
I hope this helps you get motivated to clear the clutter. What negative talk stops you from clearing the clutter? Please leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you.