New Year's Eve is tonight! Do you have plans? Here is a list of things you can do this evening to ring in the new year with your family and friends.
Fabulous things to do on New Year's Eve
Having a party at home?
- Have your company sleep over so no one needs to be a designated driver.
- Have guests bring one dish, appetizer, or dessert to share to save you time and money.
- Have guests bring a game to plan.
- Have a quiet room for young kids to sleep. This way, parents can continue to enjoy themselves.
- Have a designated photographer, create a hashtag and share the photos online all night long.
- Use white and silver ornaments and garland from your Christmas decorations for the center of your table or buffet.
Going out with friends and family?
- Select a designated driver. Get them a surprise gift for being the designated driver.
- Dress appropriately. It could be cold out and you don't want to get sick.
- Take public transportation to get to places if possible. They extend the hours at night and you don't have to worry about parking.
- Wear comfortable shoes if you plan on walking around or dancing.
- Try not to bring handbags and other things. The less you need to carry, the easier it is.
- Find a great restaurant to have dinner with your family. We like to have Fondue each New Year's Eve so we go to The Melting Pot. They book up fast, so schedule early.
- Allocated at least one half or one hour extra for travel to make sure you get to your destination.
I hope these tips help you stay safe and have a great New Year's Eve!
Below are some new years eve party products from Amazon. (affiliate)
I hope you have a happy new year and a wonderful, safe, and prosperous new year.
Love that you have mentioned several ways to stay safe!
I just hosted a New Year's Eve party at my home last evening with a total guest list that included 10 kids and 10 adults. Don't know if I'll be doing it again anytime soon, since it involved so much work. I did ask each family to bring an appetizer and dessert to share, which cut down significantly on the amount of time I had to spend in the kitchen this week! We also asked each family to bring a game to play. We ended up playing several...the games were the highlight of the party!
Games are awesome for New Year's Eve. It passes time and allows us to disconnect and reconnect with one another. =) Thanks for sharing your New Year's Eve, Natalie. Happy New Year!
Going to the Melting Post for dinner is a great idea! I'm gonna suggest that next year! It's super cold right now so the Grandparents are taking Sam to a local community center that has activities for kids until about 8pm. Then they will drop him off and go back out I'm staying in by the fire! 🙂 Happy New Year Sabrina!
That's great you got some time alone. We love the Melting Pot. It's great and they really do a nice job. They take pictures of us in front of a 2016 banner, print it out, and frame it and we get to keep it then they give us take home seasonings. They have a set menu but you can actually change it out if you don't prefer what the menu is at no additional cost. They even have a Gluten Free menu which I tried for the first time this year and their bread was great. They have a kids menu too. BTW, if you want to take home leftovers, you need to cook it first. So, we cooked the leftover meats and veggies my daughter didn't eat and my husband is having it for lunch. =) It was a great time for all. Thanks for commenting. Happy new year.
Your tips about allowing extra time for travel brought back memories of New Years Eve a few years ago... we were at a friends, called a cab when we were ready to come home, and waited and waited and waited. The following year, we thought we'd be smart and call shortly before midnight, but wouldn't you know it? The cab showed up right away and we weren't ready to leave.
Now we just stay home. 🙂
So many people go out on New Year's Eve. I totally agree, staying home is the best. We used to have parties each and then with all the kids growing up and the adults not wanting to go it, the parties stopped. But that's OK. We like to go out early and then come home and play games with the kids and ring in the new year. It's fun and easy. And we can go to sleep right after. =) yay! Thanks for commenting.