In recent years, I have had several family and friends that move to different areas. And, they always ask me, "How can I make the process of moving less stressful?" Well, here is what I tell them, YOU MUST make lists to help you keep focused and be able to remember every task that needs to be done. Even if you are not a list builder by nature, you must make lists to help you. It will keep your stress at bay, before, during and after a move. Here are 4 moving checklists every person needs when moving.
What checklists should I use for moving?
1st Checklist: A Timed Checklist
Ask yourself these questions:
- What do I need to do at 6 weeks?
- What do I need to do at 3 weeks?
- What do I need to do at 2 weeks?
- What do I need to do at 1 week?
- What do I need to do the day before?
- What do I need to do the day of the move?
- What do I need to do the day after?
- What do I need to do the week after?
- What do I need to do by 2 weeks after?
2nd Checklist: Change of Address List
Include columns that read the following:
- The company, government, and friends/family Name's
- Phone number, email address, or website to change address
- A completed checkbox
Here are some suggestions on who to tell:
- Post Office
- Bank accounts
- Credit cards
- Investment/retirement accounts
- Medicare & Social Security
- Voter's registration
- Family & friends & Coworkers & Clients
- Driver's license/car registration
- Newspaper Subscriptions
- Fitness Center
- Places of worship
- Legal and Financial Professionals
- Magazines Subscriptions
3rd Checklist: What to give away or donate list
What to do give away and donate and what to keep? Add these items to your list:
- Include a column for the name of the item you want to get rid of.
- Include a column for who to give it to.
- Include a column for where to donate it.
- Walk around your home and put a sticky note on the items you want to give away and donate. If you have specific places that you want to give the item, write it on the sticky note.
- If you want to give the item away, Take photos of the item you want to give away or donate. Then, share the image of the item with friends on Facebook.
- Share with a yard sale community online (if you fill comfortable with this.)
- Keep a running list of items that you donate for tax return purposes.
- Check out our Charitable Donation Locations page to donate.
Tips to help you get rid of stuff:
- Take digital photos of your achieved photos and get rid of the originals.
- Make a video of your digital photos for Christmas or birthday presents.
- Make a scrapbook of your photos and stubs from activities you went to see.
4th Checklist: Packing Boxes list
Create a list of your content and number or letter the boxes. Include these columns on the checklist:
- Number on the box and checklist column
- What is in the box? column
- And, where the box needs to go in the new house
- Write the number on the box large enough so you can see it from a distance.
- Use a red or black marker and write the number or letter in the same place on ALL the boxes.
If you don't want to make your own checklist, subscribe to Enlightened News and receive "All the Checklists You Need for Your Move" Packet already made for you!
That is it! Remember to pace yourself and you will be able to get everything done and well on your way to your new life in your new home. Please share and leave a comment below on how your move went. Good luck!
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.