****Visit our "Disclosure Policy and Cookies" for details. Affiliate links appear on this page from Google Adsense, Amazon, Order Out of Chaos, Impact affiliate members, Release, Repurpose, Reorganize, and Shareasale affiliate members.****
Soon, we are going on a cruise for the week. We haven't been on a cruise in over 15 years. Wow, it's been a while. So, preparing for the trip for myself and my family members (a total of 4 people), I started searching for guidance on what to bring for this "relaxing cruise." So, of course, I had to create one and share it with all of you. Please share it with all your friends and family. It will help you and them immensely. Below I have broken down the packing lists into a carry-on, his, hers, and kids.
Cruise Line Packing List
Below are guidelines I found on what to bring and what not to bring for the main cruise lines:
Note: If you are taking kids, the last page is for them.
First, let's start out by answering these questions below.
Questions to Ask Before Making A Cruise Packing List
Below are questions to ask yourself to help you pick the right items for your trip.
- How many days will the cruise be?
- What type of cruise will it be?
- Will there be events where you will need specific clothes?
- How many offshore activities are there?
- Will you need to have clothing before and after the cruise? For how many days?
- What days are you planning on doing special activities on the ship?
- How is the weather for the trip? Will it be raining or sunny?
- Will I bring my laptop, or can I use my iPad / Tablet?
- Are there medicines that I need to carry for my family and me?
- Are there tasks I may need to do before the trip? How about after the trip?
Carry-on Bag Cruise Packing List
This packing list is just for carry-on bag items.
If you don't take all the items on the list, cross them out. I wanted to be thorough, just in case. Also, I added a blank column so you can add specific items you want to take in your carry-on bag.
Carry-on Packing List items:
Below are the carry-on packing list items you may need.
- Jewelry / Valuables
- Passport / Birth Cert. / Visas
- All Cruise airline information and guides
- Wallet: Money, Traveler’s Check, Credit card, Drivers License
- Health Insurance Cards
- Small first aid kit
- Phone/tablet and charger
- Tablet and earbuds and cord
- Wet wipesGum for flight
- Ear plugs
- Reading material
- Notepad and pens
- 1 – quart size bag for liquids
- Kleenex, brush, Tums
- Prescription medication
- Seasickness bracelet or medicine
- Allergy medicine
- Bathing suit
- Extra outfit
- Workout outfit
- Neck Pillow
- An extra sweater
- Eye mask
- Earbuds/ headset
- Small first aid kit
- Water bottle
His and Her Cruise Packing List
Here is his and hers cruise packing list. This stuff is usually placed in your luggage. The column in the middle is for the extra supplies you will need.
You may wonder why there are two columns with "X"s at the top. Well, I always take my vacation checklist with me because I want to return with everything left, right? So, the first "X" column is for when I am packing to leave for vacation, and the second "X" column is for when I am packing my stuff on the cruise.
His Cruise Packing List
Below is the cruise packing list for him.
- Long pants
- Shirt or polo shirt
- Formal shirt/cuff links
- Suit Jacket/pants and/or Tuxedo bow tie, etc.
- Sport jacket /dress pants/tie/tie clip
- Sleepwear / Robe
- Light Jacket
- Water shoes
- Dental floss
- Hair supplies
- Make a note of which luggage they will be taking.
Her Cruise Packing List
Below is a list of items she may need on her cruise packing list.
- Formal Dress/outfits
- Evening Wrap and/or light jacket
- Hose and socks
- Sleepwear/ Robe
- Light Jacket
- Flip-Flops or Water shoes
- Toothpaste/ toothbrush
- Dental floss
- Hair supplies
- Nail file. Nail Polish
- Feminine products
- Make a note of what carry-on and luggage you will be taking.
Blank Cruise Packing List
If you have kids and/or need an additional checklist, here is a blank one.
Kids Cruise Packing List
There are many things to pack for a cruise trip. Below is an extensive list of items you will need for your kids.
- Undergarments - bring an extra few just in case there are accidents.
- Outfits (shirt/pants) - bring an extra set of clothing and place it in your carry-on just in case.
- Bring two swimsuits - If one is used, it will take time to dry, so having another one will allow the kids to swim two days in a row.
- Bring Sunglasses, swim goggles, ear plugs - These items are helpful for kids who love to be out in the sun and swimming. These items cost a lot more when you buy them on vacation.
- Socks - bring a few extra pairs of socks.
- Shoes - bring three pairs of shoes—one pair of sneakers and comfortable shoes for each kid. Also, bring water shoes or flip-flops.
- Minimize the sleepwear - Only bring a few sleepwear outfits for the kids. Each outfit can be used for a few days at a time.
- Hat - Each kid should have one hat for the trip.
- A light jacket and/or poncho - Be sure to have layers for the kids. You don't want them to be sick on the ship.
- Hair accessories, special self-cleaning products - A separate toiletry bag just for the kids will
- Disposable toilet seat covers are great for kids needing to go while traveling.
- Motion Sickness Patch - These patches work well for seasickness for kids and adults.
- On-the-go games - sometimes, tech battery doesn't work in certain areas. So, some paper pad games are a great Plan B.
- Fork/spoon for kids - bringing their favorite fork and spoon will make it easier for them to be independent.
- Small backpack - Your children can carry something. Having them have a small backpack to hold their keep-busy activities works well.
- Water bottle - each kid should have a water bottle to stay hydrated.
- Luggage/carry-on - write down what luggage and carry-on each child takes so there is no question when packing.
Cruise Packing List Tips
Now that you can see the complexity of a packing list, I hope it doesn't overwhelm you. To help you even more, I provided additional tips you may want to do when making your packing list.
Make your packing list early.
This will save you money because you can find deals for things you need.
Create a DIY tech organizer kit:
Visit my post that shows you how to make one for each family member. HOW TO MAKE A TRAVEL TECH ORGANIZER KIT Each older kid and adult should have their own. That makes it easy on the parents if the kids need to charge something while charging parents' devices.
Download the Cruise App:
Go through your Cruise Line App and pay in advance for trips, so you don't incur additional charges. You usually get discounts on trips if you pay before the trip starts.
- Disney Cruise Line has an iOS and Android App
- Carnival App has an iOS and Android App
- Royal Caribbean Royal App has an iOS and Android App
- Norwegian Cruise Line App has an iOS and Android App
Label kids' items:
Labeling the kids' items with their names, our cellphone numbers, etc... will help in many ways. If you have two of these items, the kids may get theirs mixed up, so labeling them keeps them from fighting. If they lose an item and someone finds it, they can contact you by phone.
Try just one sweater and a light jacket to minimize how many outwear items you need. Add a sweater under the light jacket to be warmer if it is cold.
Pick luggage for the right person:
Everyone, even the kids, should have a luggage/carry-on bag for their trip. It is important to use the right size depending on the person, the airline, and the cruise company. Be sure to check the size of your luggage and the dimensions. Some may be used for a carry-on, and others may not.
Add a section for before and after the cruise to-dos:
As a reminder, create a section on your packing list for to-dos before and after your trip. Add the to-do date and task to each row that works well on a packing list.
Bring the packing list with you.
And lastly, be sure to include your packing list in your carry-on bag. This will remind you what you brought and the tasks you must do when you return.
Making these cruise packing lists took some time, but I think it was worth it. I don't know about you; I want to relax on vacation and not worry about what I may have forgotten. Feel free to print the images above to help you make your own checklist. Please share this with your friends and family. Have a great trip.
Below are additional Travel tips for your next shore vacations to 'day' trips!
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.