How does your home office look right now? Whether you have a small home office or a large one, you will benefit from clearing out space every so often. Some benefits of having a stress free home office include:
Benefits of clearing a home office:
- Saving time finding things. Saving money on duplicate items.
- It makes a good impression with anyone who visits your space.
- Your focus improves with fewer distractions.
- It helps you reduce stress when you work in the space.
Now you can see how important it is to keep your home office decluttered. Here are 15 areas to visit to get rid of the stuff right now for a less stressful space.
Get rid of these things in your home office:
- Action items you haven’t completed. This could be papers that list actions on them you thought you wanted to do and never got to do them.
- Electronics that are broken or not used – sometimes we replace a new printer, and the old one hangs around until we can find a place to recycle it. It happens, now is the time to get rid of it.
- Cables that are from unused electronics. Do you have cables you don’t know where they came from? These can go too.
- Old completed calendars and planners. We sometimes keep these calendars/planners. Flip through them and rip out only the ones you want to keep. Recycle the rest.
- Dried pens and broken pencils. We tend to collect these items in desk drawers. Now is the time to get rid of them.
- Old magazines that are piling up. Do you get magazines sent to your home? Go through them and clear out the piles.
- Old archived folders and manuals of stuff not used.
- Paper receipts over seven years old. Do you have a bunch of receipts in a shoebox? Revisit these items and shred them now.
- Seven years or older tax supporting documents. If you want to organize the newer documents better, visit our post: 14 EASY TIPS FOR ORGANIZING LONG TERM FILES IN YOUR HOME AND BUSINESS
- Outdated reference books – technology books especially can be recycled right now.
- Dead plants and broken items. Remove anything that is not alive. I found this great article that talks about The Household Items You Need To Throw Out ASAP (According To A Feng Shui Expert).
- Old sticky notes. Do you use Sticky notes each day? You probably have a lot of them. Go through them and get rid of the ones you don’t need. If you use them to collect information like phone numbers and addresses, gather them together and place them in your digital address book.
- Bulletin boards or magnet boards that are too cluttered displaying old information on them. A colleague of mine gives you tips on how to organize your bulletin board. Check it out here.
- Office supplies that are not being used any longer. Do you have push pins but no bulletin boards? If you don’t go to where these supplies are stored frequently, you probably have some items that you mostly like have not used in years. Revisit this area and clear it out.
- If you work from home, you may have a fridge or beverage area in your home office — beverages cups and other things that may have expired or were destroyed and never used.
Well, there you have it! Feel free to share this image above to motivate others to make a stress free home office.
Clearing these items out of your home office will not only free up space and make your home office stress free, but it will also transform your frame of mind and allow you to see possibilities in your life that may have been hidden in the stressed area. Feel free to visit our other Office Organization posts.