Aw, the bedroom, a place where we can relax and unwind, right? I love a bedroom with no clutter, and that looks like a relaxing space so I can escape from my day to where I can relax, and do whatever I want. Yup, that’s a bedroom for me.
12 ways to make your bedroom an oasis
If your room isn’t like that at the moment, here are 12 ways to make your bedroom an oasis:
- Your first task is to remove clutter in your room. It is the most important job. Anything that may be on the floor, on your nightstand, your chair, your bed, or your dresser needs to find a home. Then, keep all surfaces clear all the time. Get into the habit of clearing the clutter every night before you go to bed. Need help determining what to get rid of? Keep this in mind when clearing your room. “The only items that should be in your bedroom are the items you love and care to look at every morning and evening.”
- Take out any object that has sad or negative emotions or memories associated with it. Ask yourself these questions: What memory does this object remind me of? Is it pleasing? Do I feel happy? Does it make you feel sad? Do you have no feeling at all about it?
- Taking a moment to change your wall pictures. Put pictures you love together in clusters. Here are some photo group themes:
- Trips you have taken
- Family members
- Pets you love
- Inspiring quotes in picture frames
- Add real plants or a boutique of fresh flowers to your room. It not only looks beautiful, but new green heart leaf plants help clean the air. Tip: Wet dust the leaves with a partially wet paper towel every few months to reduce the dust in the room.
- Add a cluster of candles on a tray with a mirror behind. Place it on the dresser or near a mirror, so it reflects more light in the room.
- Add your favorite fragrant scent plug-ins, scented candles or incense. If you like incense and don’t have an incense holder? Place incense sticks standing upright into the dirt of plants. Be sure not to have the incense touch the sides of the pot or the leaves of the plant. It works great, and when it is finished, there is no mess to clean up.
- Have a speaker/radio/alarm to play relaxing music or sounds. Here is an example of one that is a clock radio that does just that from Amazon. Tip: If you have an orange display clock radio, change your clock to a blue light display. We did this recently, and boy did it make a difference at night. It wasn’t as bright.
- Assign a corner for your treasures that you want to display. Make a special corner for your absolute favorite knick-knacks.
- Create an area for a desk and a chair or a seating area near the window for you to relax. A cute small desk with a comfortable chair works great and allows you to sit and enjoy the room and look outside.
- Install a small indoor fountain or electric fireplace. Here is an example of a small fountain and a wall-mount fireplace from Amazon:
- Install dimmable lighting overhead and task lighting on nightstands. Here is a plug with a dimmer for the nightstand light.
- Make the entire room look relaxing. Buy new bedding. Paint the walls a soothing color.
By doing some of these tasks in your bedroom, it will make a difference in your bedroom and will hopefully improve your sleep and help you relax easier at nighttime.
If you are looking for more bedroom organization tips, check out our Bedroom posts page.