****Visit our "Disclosure Policy and Cookies" for details. Affiliate links appear on this page from Google Adsense, Amazon, Order Out of Chaos, Impact affiliate members, Release, Repurpose, Reorganize, and Shareasale affiliate members.****
While I love beef taco soup, I wanted to make a lighter version of this dish. So, here is how I made my own version of a chicken taco soup recipe. I used a slow cooker to make this dish, and it was super easy to make.
FYI - Frozen chicken was used and cut up into chunks to make it easier to throw together on a busy morning.
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can of Red beans (16 oz can)
- One can of Black Beans (16 oz can)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can 16 oz diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- Taco Seasoning packet
- 2 cups of frozen corn defrosted
All the ingredients are probably found in your pantry or refrigerator right now.
Then, add the corn, black beans, red beans, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes to the slow cooker .
Chop up the chicken breast into cube 1-inch pieces, then add to the top of the stuff in the slow cooker .
Then, I added the taco seasoning to the top and stir all the ingredients together.
Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
While the soup is cooking, you can get some toppings together. Below are the ones I suggest that work well with this chicken taco soup recipe.
- Fresh avocado - cut open the avocado and make some cubes of avocados.
- Shredded Mexican cheese - add a tablespoon or two of shredded cheese to the top.
- Nacho strips - You can add some nacho pieces to the top of the chicken taco soup dish for a little crunch.
- Shredded lettuce - add some shredded lettuce to the top of the soup.
Here is the slow cooker chicken taco soup recipe after it was finished. It was super yummy.
You can easily add things to this chicken taco soup recipe. Below are a few suggestions.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or a few chopped jalapenos.
It's important to have the right size slow cooker .
This recipe is good for at most 3 days cooked in the refrigerator.
You can freeze the ingredients in a freezer bag before cooking or after cooking. Either way, make sure you write a note on the bag if it needs to be cooked or reheated.
Doubling this recipe is easy; make sure you have the right size slow cooker .