Sweet potato bean stew is a wonderful option for a weeknight dinner. Since it is cooked in a slow cooker, you can easily add it to your busy weeknights meal-planning. This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and cooks up thick for a delicious family meal. Follow along and see how I made this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Bean Stew Recipe and make yours today!
Why I was inspired to make this recipe?
Bean stews were a favorite of mine but the beans upset my stomach. Since this one used a lighter bean, it didn't bother me as much. It is a hardy dish and a wonderful option for my family.
What ingredients are in the Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Bean Stew Recipe?
These ingredients you probably have in your pantry or refrigerator except for the chipotle seasoning for this easy soup recipe.
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red pepper chopped
- ½ red onion chopped
- ½ cup of tomato sauce
- 2 cups or 16 oz can of cannellini beans
- 1 lb pound of sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle seasoning
- 2 cups vegetable broth or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon parsley dried
- 1 tablespoon basil dried
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Visit the recipe card below for a printable copy. Below is an image of the ingredients I used.
How to make this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Bean Stew Recipe?
First, we need to saute onion and peppers to soften them up. Saute for 5 minutes until tender. Add the olive oil to a medium heat pan (not smoking), then add the chopped onion and peppers.
Step 2: Transfer the cooked red onions and peppers to the slow cooker. Start the slow cooker on low.
Step 3: Now it is time to add the other ingredients. Add the chopped sweet potatoes pieces and cannellini canned beans. Make sure you rinsed the beans before adding them.
Step 4: Now it is time to add the chipotle seasoning, vegetable broth, parsley, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. It should almost cover all the vegetables. Stir with a wooden spoon.
Step 5: Cook the stew on low for 5-6 hours. Then, remove from heat for about 15 minutes and serve. It will be too hot to eat when you just turn off the heat.
Here is the finished dish. What a lovely spicy, hearty bean soup! Doesn’t it look amazing? It is super delicious. This is soon to be one of my inexpensive meals for Meatless Monday! How about you?
If you can't find these beans you can use great northern beans, navy beans, pinto beans, black beans, or kidney beans.
I used a 4.5-quart slow cooker, if you want to use a large pot slow cooker, you will need to double this recipe.
Related Easy Recipes
Feel free to visit our other posts that are similar to this one for even more wonderful recipes.
Here are the soup recipes:
Here are some slow cooker recipes:
Substitutions You Can Use
Feel free to try these substitutions and add-ons for this recipe, if you do not have dietary issues.
- Add bread - Pick a delicious piece of crusty bread for a wonderful addition to this dish.
- For a thicker sauce - If you want a thicker sauce, you can add a tablespoon of tomato paste.
This recipe has some variations you may want to try them.
- Less spicy - If you don't want it too spicy, reduce the amount to ⅛ or just a pinch of chipotle seasoning.
- Add some extra flavor - add some lime juice to the top of each bowl at the end for a fresh flavor.
- Add more Flavor - add a bay leaf and/or chili powder to this dish to infuse some other flavors.
- Sweeten the dish - if you want you can add some brown sugar to the recipe.
Equipment Used for This Recipe
I used a slow cooker that was 4.5 quarts in size. Below are some from Amazon (affiliate).
Save Time Tips and Storage:
This recipe can be cooked in the slow cooker and refrigerated for the next day's dinner. It thickens up nicely and infuses the chipotle flavoring too. It may get a little spicier the longer it sits.
Printable and Shareable Recipe Card
Feel free to share or print this recipe for your convenience.
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon and at no additional cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through and decide to make a purchase.