How often do you clean your grill? Once a season or twice a season or never? Here is my complete guide on how to easily clean your grill. We do this a few times a season and it helps with flare-ups and improves the flavor of the food we grill. To help you clean your grill, I found this video from Melissa Maker. She does a great job explaining the products to use and how to use them and it’s entertaining too. =)
Tools you need to help clean your grill
Here are the tools I recommend for cleaning the grill. Melissa mentioned many of these as well.
Degreaser for the grill: Be sure to buy a degreaser that is specifically for the grill because it will be in contact with food and heat. The one I use is a Weber brand degreaser spray. It works really well.
Nonscratch sponge: Something like this one below works great.
Old t-shirts for drying the grill: works better because you can through them away after cleaning.
Dish soap: A bit of dawn soap works great in the bucket for cleaning.
Trash bags and a trash can if possible: The trash can will keep the trash bag open for you when you need to scrap stuff off the grill grates and flavor bars.
- Be sure you place your grill in an area that you don’t mind getting dirty. We like to place it on the grass away from the deck and patio.
- Make sure you do this on an overcast day or a day that it is not too warm. Try to place the grill in the shade or under a tree area if possible.
- Make sure you have all the tools near you. We have forgotten something in the past and realized that we were a mess and couldn’t open the door. Remember, grease doesn’t come off easily so better safe than sorry.
- Get help. Having another set of hands really does help with this process, especially if you need to move the grill.
- Use newspapers under the grill if you are on a deck to keep the drippings from marking up the deck boards.
- Spray the grates and the flavor bars with the degreaser and let them sit for a good amount of time.
- Don’t forget to clean the knobs too and tabletop attached to your grill.
Here’s a free checklist to help you clean your grill.
Well, there you have it, instructions on how to clean your grill. I hope this inspires you to clean your grill. What is your favorite tip when it comes to cleaning your grill? Please leave a comment below.
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.