Summer is a wonderful time for salads. This Greek salad recipe is the best salad recipe to accompany any burger dish or to bring to a barbecue this summer. The cucumbers and cherry tomato make this dish a delight. And, with the added avocado, it tastes smooth and creamy. The kids and my hubby just loved it. Make it tonight and taste for yourself!
What ingredients are in a Greek salad?
1-pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 cucumber sliced longways then sliced into ¼ inch wide pieces
¼ red onion, cut in half then sliced thin
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon oregano fresh remove leaves from spring and chopped
1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes.
Salt and pepper to taste
4 oz crumbled herb feta
6 Kalamata olives cut in half
How to make a Greek salad recipe?
Remove oregano from the stem, then chop it into small pieces. Set aside.
Thinly slice the red onion and cut into quarter slices to make small strips. This makes the slices more edible in size. Set aside.
Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and set them aside. If they are large, cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters.
Cut the ends of the cucumbers. First, cut it longways, then slice the cucumbers in about ¼ to ½ inch pieces. Set aside.
Add the red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and chopped oregano and whisk together in a larger bowl. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add tomatoes, onions, and cucumber, and toss with the dressing.
Add the kalamata olives to the bowl. Toss.
Then, add the herbed feta, and toss lightly.
Cut the avocado into cubes. Add the cubed avocado and toss lightly. Note: a just-ripe avocado will stay together more than an avocado that has been ripened for a while.
Refrigerate for 2 hours or so.
That's it! And, here's the single-serving size. Doesn't it look delicious? Feel free to add a protein like a grilled chicken dish. Below are some grilled chicken recipes from our blog.
GRILLED DIJON CHICKEN BREAST FREEZER MEAL RECIPE
GRILLED ROSEMARY GARLIC AND LEMON CHICKEN RECIPE
I hope you enjoyed this easy recipe and will make it someday. Visit our other refreshing salad recipes to accompany your next meal.
If you like to print out recipes, here's the printable version of this blog post.
The Best Greek Salad Recipe Card
- 1-pint Cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 cucumber - halved and sliced
- ¼ red onion, cut in half then sliced thin
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oregano fresh remove leaves from spring and chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz crumbled herb feta
- 6 Kalamata olives cut in half
- Remove oregano from the stem, then chop it into small pieces. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the red onion, then cut in quarter slices. Set aside.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and set them aside. If you have larger cherry tomatoes, you can quarter them.
- Cut the ends of the cucumbers, cut long ways, and then slice the cucumbers. Set aside.
- Add the red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper, and chopped oregano and whisk together. Set aside.
- Cut the avocado. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and toss with the dressing.
- Slice the kalamata olives or buy sliced kalamata olives. Add to the bowl and toast.
- Add the herbed feta, and toss again.
- Now, cube the avocado and peel off the skin and gently toss the avocado in the salad.
- Refrigerator for 2 hours or so. Or you can eat it right away.
- Then enjoy with your favorite entree.
A just ripe avocado will toss better than an overripe avocado. An overripe avocado will break down when it is tossed.
I love avocado but would never have thought of adding it to a Greek salad. Thanks for the recipe!
A good Greek salad is one my favorites. Your recipe looks fabulous - it's also is a bit of a variation of my own.