Gumbo is "Gumbo is a stew that originated in southern Louisiana during the 18th century. It consists primarily of a strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and the Cajun holy trinity of vegetables, namely celery, bell peppers, and onions." It's a great dish on those cold winter nights.
This ham and shrimp gumbo recipe is one of our favorites for cold winter dinners. It is filling and yummy and we can eat leftovers the next day! YAY! Follow along and see how we made this dish!
What is in Ham and Shrimp Gumbo?
1 ham steak
½ lb of shrimp Medium, 41-50
⅓ cup vegetable oil
⅓ cup flour
One large onion - finely chopped
Two celery stalks - finely chopped
One bell pepper chopped
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
4 cups fish broth or chicken broth
One bay leaf
½ teaspoon and one teaspoon creole seasonings (if you want it spicier, add more)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 10 oz frozen-thawed chopped okra
How to make Ham and Shrimp Gumbo?
1. Clean and dry shrimp well. Toss shrimp with one teaspoon of creole seasoning.
2. Heat 5 quarter dutch oven with 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook shrimp for 2 - 3 minutes but not fully cooked. Remove shrimp from the pan to a separate bowl.
3. Add ⅓ cup of oil to 5-quart dutch oven, stir in ⅓ cup of flour, stir roux to smooth, and allow to cook until darkened but not burnt—about 8 minutes.
4. Stir in onions, pepper, and celery until tender, about 4 minutes.
5. Add canned tomatoes, broth, okra, bay leaf, and teaspoon of creole or more than bringing to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
6. Add cooked ham and shrimp for 5 minutes until heated through. Remove bay leaf and serve warm over rice.
Here's the printable recipe for you:
And here's the delicious dish. If you like it spicier, feel free to add creole seasoning at the end too. =) Enjoy!
What to add to this recipe?
You can easily add rice or a low-carb pasta dish to this recipe. A corn-based pasta or egg noodle will work too.
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.
- Yummy Curry Chicken Salad Recipe (63,486)
- Places To Donate Jewelry You Do Not Want (60,439)
- 18 Positive Mantra Sayings to Keep You on the… (39,738)
- This Year's Recycling Locations and Shredder Events (35,303)
- Incredibly Easy Tips for Organizing An Older Adult's Home (30,553)
- Successful Professional Organizer Tips for Beginners (28,626)