This fun freezer meal is great for the kiddos. It's great for after school snacks or even a quick dinner. Try it and see if your kids like it. It's Ham and cheese calzone. And, the best part is they can be frozen and reheated. Woo hoo. The kids may love it so much they won't even make it to the freezer.
Ham and Cheese Calzone Recipe
Ham and Cheese Calzone Ingredients:
1 lb refrigerated pizza dough
6-8 oz diced ham steak (cooked)
4 oz of shredded mozzarella
4 oz of shredded gruyere cheese
2 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 whole eggs (scrambled)
1 teaspoon - 2 tsp Herbes de Provence
Ham and Cheese Calzone Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the dough into 8 wedges and set under a floured tea cloth for about 20 minutes.
- While waiting, in a large bowl add diced ham steak, mozzarella, gruyere, Herbes de Provence, and Dijon Mustard and mix well. (note: you may not use all the mixture. If you want you can use the rest of the mixture in an omelet for breakfast.)
- For each wedge: unroll and spread out, lay on a lightly floured surface, add one to two tablespoons of the mixture in the center of one-half of the rolled out dough. Leave room around the edges for the egg mixture.
- Using a pastry brush, dab the brush in the egg mixture and run it around half of the outer part of the circle dough. Then fold the dough over the mixture and using a fork press down the edges so you can press them together.
- Then poke a hole in the top to prevent air from getting trapped in the calzone.
- Place on the cookie sheet, brush with more egg on top and then sprinkle with a dash of the Herbes de Provence.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until brown.
- Pull out and let cool a bit.
- Freeze in individual baggies for later.
- Reheat after frozen: Wrap the calzone in a paper towel lightly and heat in the microwave for 1 minute or until warm.
Here is the final product:
Feel free to check out some other recipes that are made similarly.
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.