Turkey and lentils together make a hearty dish that I enjoy immensely. This recipe is great throughout the year because all the ingredients can be found year-long. It makes a good amount too. This recipe makes 8 servings. Follow along and make it tonight!
- Why was I inspired to make this recipe?
- What ingredients are in Turkey Lentil Soup Recipe?
- How do you make this Turkey Lentil Soup Recipe?
- Recipe Reveal for this lentil turkey soup:
- Delicious Related Recipes
- Equipment Used for this Recipe
- Turkey Lentil Soup Recipe For The Family Recipe Card
Why was I inspired to make this recipe?
I'm a fan of turkey, lentils, and soup. And thought it would be a good combination, and I wasn't wrong. I have a lot of ground turkey and lentil recipes because they are super easy to make and light on the stomach. And this one doesn't disappoint.
What ingredients are in Turkey Lentil Soup Recipe?
Below are the ingredients I used to make this delicious soup recipe.
- 2 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 carrots sliced and quartered
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1.5 ground turkey
- 1 pound of brown lentils, red lentils, or green lentils (dried)
- 1 - 14.5 oz of diced tomatoes
- 8 cups of chicken broth or turkey broth
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram or parsley
- 2 teaspoon paprika - sweet or smoked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
How do you make this Turkey Lentil Soup Recipe?
First, clean and cut the celery and carrots. Then, chop the onions. Set these ingredients aside.
Clean the lentils and set them aside. Gather and measure out the rest of the ingredients.
Heat the dutch oven or large saucepan to medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery, and onion. Mix well. Then, add the ground turkey. Using a wooden spoon, break up the ground turkey in the dutch oven to easily separate it and cook up faster. It will take about 10-15 minutes to brown the turkey and cook up the carrots, onions, and celery.
Add the diced tomatoes, marjoram, salt, black pepper, paprika, and lentils. Add the chicken broth and stir well. Bring to a boil (it takes about 10 minutes to bring to a boil). Reduce heat to medium and cover, and cook for 45 minutes or until lentils are soft.
Recipe Reveal for this lentil turkey soup:
Here is the finished dish. It was wonderfully delicious. It is a super healthy meal and great for leftovers the next day. Add parmesan cheese or Romano cheese before serving. If you want to make it richer, add 1 tablespoon of butter to the bowl when serving.
Recipe Hint or Tips:
Prep all the ingredients and set aside. This will go fast, and having the ingredients already measured and ready will help greatly.
You can set up the ingredients beforehand and cook them when you plan to eat them.
Store the food in an airtight container overnight.
It's a great leftover soup recipe.
Stick with one type of beans; if you want to use black beans, you will need to soak them overnight.
Delicious Related Recipes
Feel free to check out our step-by-step instructions for our soup recipes below.
Below are some variations you can make with this recipe.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes to the olive oil.
- Smoky - If you want, add smoked paprika to the dish instead of sweet.
- Richer in flavor - add some butter and stir in before serving.
- More tomatoes - add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste to thicken the soup and make it have more of a tomato flavor.
- Curry - if you want more flavor, add 1 teaspoon of curry to the pot when you add the marjoram.
- Store-bought Broth modification - You can also use vegetable broth if you don't have chicken or turkey stock.
Equipment Used for this Recipe
The equipment is very easy for this recipe. You only need a dutch oven or large saucepan, a cutting board, a chef's knife, and a wooden spoon.
You can store the turkey lentil soup in the refrigerator. You can store it in a sealed container and enjoy it for the next few days.