I love Markerboards! In fact, I actually have a few full-size ones in my office walls. They are so fun to brainstorm with. And, since I write large, they do a great job fitting all my chicken scratches on them. But did you know that you can make your own customized markerboard? Well, you can! Come along and check it out.
- Who can use a custom marker board?
- Why make a custom marker board?
- How to make a custom marker board using a picture frame?
- How much did it cost to make this custom maker board?
- How long did it take to make this marker board?
- Other Tips when making this custom marker board:
- What to add to the custom markerboard to stay organized?
- How to clean a custom marker board?
- Other Custom Marker Board Projects.
Who can use a custom marker board?
Several types of people can use this custom marker board. Below is a list of some that will benefit from having a markerboard:
- Homeschool students can make their homeschool to jot down assignments and brainstorming
- Self-employed business owners who work from home.
- Kids who love to write on walls.
- People who are visual and need reminders about what they need to do.
- Business owners who have timelines they need to follow.
Why make a custom marker board?
If you want to write in a larger space instead of on the computer or an online app, having a large area to spell out your thoughts will allow your mind to ponder the solution without getting distracted when you run out of space or have to move to another screen.
How to make a custom marker board using a picture frame?
First, I looked for the right size picture frame at my local craft stores.
The picture below is my customized marker board in my office. It's poster size to cover the back of my armoire, so I can use the back of it. You can select any size, though.
The trick is to make sure that there is glass inside the frame. Plastic will not work. It's hard to wipe off.
Buy a poster that has more white and muted colors.
Then, I looked for a poster that fit inside my frame. I liked the stem and leaf above. I was looking for something that had a white background.
Place the poster inside the poster-size frame.
Then I went to town putting it together. It was easy, just like adding a poster to a picture frame.
Depending on how heavy your picture frame is, you can pick from various hooks. Below are some I found on Amazon (affiliate).
How much did it cost to make this custom maker board?
It cost about $30.00 to make this marker board since I bought the frame and the poster. Keep in mind that both of these items were on sale.
How long did it take to make this marker board?
It only took about 1 hour, including going to the store and buying the poster and picture frame.
***AD*** Boutique Rugs: Looking for rugs? Check out their wide variety of beautifully designed rugs.
The entire project wasn't expensive to make. I went to the craft store when they were running a frame sale. It has hung in my office for a few years now and still works beautifully.
Other Tips when making this custom marker board:
Below are some additional tips when making this marker board.
- If you can pick different size frames, you can use different types of decorative paper. For example, if you select a square frame 12 x 12, you can purchase a scrapbook page to dress up the picture frame. If you want to dress it up even more, add a ribbon across the page for an additional effect.
- If you go with a poster size, you can pick a picture that has a calendar on it, or you can draw a generic calendar on the picture and use it as a wipe-off of the calendar after the glass is attached. Anything goes!
- Black and dark dry-erase markers work best on the glass.
What to add to the custom markerboard to stay organized?
There are a number of things you can add to the markerboard. Below is a list of some things I placed on my marker board.
- Add a blank monthly calendar.
- Use Washi Tape and subdivide the areas for different lists.
- Add a daily time schedule sheet starting from the time you wake up and the time you leave the home office.
- Have bullets so you can make quick lists.
- Add a grocery list section.
- Have a mind dump section.
- Add a checklist you use all the time.
- Have an area for upcoming events for the week - doing a weekly Monday to Sunday section.
- Use color-coded markers and divide the marker board into sections for different task topics.
How to clean a custom marker board?
It's fairly easy to clean this glass markerboard. I use the EXPO brand liquid spray cleaner. You can also use a glass cleaner. But there are a variety of other cleaners out there. Below are the ones I found on Amazon.
Other Custom Marker Board Projects.
Feel free to check out my other Marker board projects for more inspiration. Click on the images below to see the DIY tutorials.
This is the final image of the poster picture frame custom marker board from this post.
Let's continue the conversation. Do you prefer a custom marker board or a corkboard? Do you have any tips to share about making a custom marker board? Please comment below. I would love to hear from you.
Feel free to check out the other DIY Organizing projects.