This Broccoli Tots Recipe is made with an air fryer. With lots of frozen bags of broccoli, I was searching around for what I should use this broccoli for. Let me tell you the backstory, I love broccoli, but I prefer fresh over frozen. And my daughter, who was away at school and was only eating broccoli, recently decided she didn't want to eat them, so I took them home. While filling up my freezer, I had to find a use for them. And this is what I made.
I have made several tot recipes before and enjoyed them. When you buy tots at the grocery store, they all have gluten. Since we are a gluten-free home, I needed to find a way to make them without using gluten. If you want to see my other gluten-free tot recipes, check them out here. This Broccoli Tots Recipe is super easy and didn't take long. Instead of buying tots, make them yourself; here's how.
Broccoli Tots Ingredients
- Two 16 oz bags of frozen broccoli defrosted
- two cloves of garlic, minced
- One Cup of Romano Cheese or Parmesan Cheese grated
- two eggs beaten
- One Cup of pulverized homestyle gluten-free stuffing
- one teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- 2 teaspoons of Franks Red Hot sauce
Instructions for these Broccoli Tots Recipe
Defrost the broccoli in a bowl. Remove the liquid at the bottom after defrosting. Add to the food processor and mash up to a fine chop. Set aside.
Add the gluten-free homestyle stuffing cup to the food processor. Pulverize it into crumbs. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix 2 beaten eggs, mashed broccoli, pulverized stuffing, minced garlic, grated Romano cheese, salt and pepper, and Frank's Red Hot.
Spray the air fryer tray with nonstick spray. Grab a handful of the mixture and squeeze tight to form a tot. Remove excess liquid, if any. Then place it in the tray on a single layer. Separately evenly to allow for circulation in the air fryer tray. When the tray is filled, place it into the air fryer at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until brown. Remove and let sit for a few minutes and serve.
Finished Broccoli Tots Recipe
It was such a lovely broccoli tater tots snack. They turned out very crispy. Below is the finished recipe.
Broccoli Tots Recipe Variations
Here are a few homemade tater tots tips to make this recipe.
- Spicy - add 4 teaspoon of Frank's Red Hot instead of 2 tsp.
- Garlic - You can replace minced garlic with granulated garlic by adding 1 tsp. It is more flavorful, so you do not need as much.
- Kid-friendly - add a dipping sauce for the kids to dip the tots in.
- Change out the cheese - You can also use cheddar cheese if you don't want to use the Romano cheese. Use the same quantity as the Romano cheese.
Equipment is a big part of making this recipe. You must have an air fryer. Below are some I found on Amazon you can buy. (affiliate links)
Storage for homemade broccoli tots
You can store them in the refrigerator for a few days. But they are best when eaten right away.
Remove the juice when squeezing the broccoli mixture into a tot is critical for crispy tots.