While walking into my kitchen the other day, I realized that I had not had the time to declutter and open up the area a bit. In 2014, we remodeled our kitchen, and back then, I purged and cleared out lots of stuff. But, since then, the kitchen has accumulated new stuff that I may or may not have used over the years. And, if you are like me, this post was a way for me to get up and take action. I hope these signs do the same for you.
14 Signs the Kitchen needs Decluttering Right Now
- You go to your command station to add some paperwork and realize you have to start another pile somewhere else because piles and piles of paper cover the counter.
- While putting away your favorite spatula, you open the utensil drawer and have to figure out how to squeeze in this spatula in the drawer.
- When you open the cabinet that holds your storage containers, the lids shower you.
- You open your herb and spice area, and you have a container of spices that expired in June 2010.
- Your junk drawer bins are overflowing with stuff, and the things fall from one container to the next, which makes the drawer a true "Junk Drawer."
- The large cabinet you have is filled with items you haven't used in over 3 years.
- The pantry inside shows items that have "used by" dates that are more than one year old.
- Your silverware drawer has more than three sets of silverware in it, and you only use one set at a time.
- The supplies for baking are filling up the cabinet so much that when you open it, stuff falls out.
- Your refrigerator is filled with stuff, so do not drop anything off the shelf; you open the door slowly.
- The amount of space you have for specialty glasses (wine, margarita, many beer steins, etc...) has now filled a complete cabinet. And they have several layers of dust on them.
- Under the sink stores, piles of cleaning supplies were never used throughout the years.
- The snack drawer has snacks that are over 3 months after their expiration date.
- The decorative glass door cabinet has several items in it that it doesn't look pretty any longer.
Are any of these signs resonating with you when you walk into your kitchen? If so, you should start going through them. Doing these tasks this time of year BEFORE the holidays will free up space and help you prep for the holiday season. Do you see any additional signs that remind you to declutter your kitchen? Please share your signs your kitchen needs decluttering below to continue the conversion.