We refer to downsizing a home as a bad thing. Your kids are out of the house. You can't keep the home clean anymore. You can't afford to stay in the large empty house. But, if you change your attitude and downsize before you need to, it will then be a positive change on your own terms.
It is important to let go of things that do not need to be with you. Those shoes from your grown child when they were a baby. Will they really want an old pair of shoes? I think not. By letting go of unused and unwanted items in your home, it will make room for the things you do want to have around you. It will help you clear out any distractions and help you focus on what you want.
So, downsizing to a smaller space doesn't have to be a bad thing. Think of it as a means to help you move to where you want to be. Here are reasons to downsize and benefits to downsizing your home.
Reasons to downsize your home:
1. Not enough time to do all the chores that need to be done to maintain the house.
2. Your business changes and you need to change the space.
3. You want to reach the goals you set for yourself.
4. You do not use extra space anymore.
5. You may need one level, not two.
6. You want to get rid of stuff so you can be more of a minimalist.
Benefits to downsize your home:
1. Being able to clean the house quickly as compared to larger homes - less to care for.
2. It takes less money to repair items in a smaller house.
3. Smaller space equals a smaller amount of stuff in it.
4. Smaller homes are generally fewer expenses.
5. You are actually helping your children by downsizing before you get too old or pass. Have you heard about "The Gental Art of Swedish Death Cleaning" by Margareta Magnusson? (This link is an Amazon Associates like, if you purchase this book through this link, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.)
Downsizing shouldn't be a bad thing. It doesn't have to be a negative statement by any means. Look for the bright side and the benefits of the downsizing process. Think of it this way, your goals are more important than your larger home. To make it a better experience, make the change your decision, not the circumstances that surround the reason for downsizing.
Visit our downsizing posts to start your process.
Visit our entire section on our blog for downsizing for other posts related to how to get rid of your stuff.