My husband found this show on the FYI channel called" Tiny House Nation". Well, I have watched it ever since. To say I love the show is an understatement. The show cast creates small homes that are mobile that are around 200 square feet of space. Many times the houses are able to be moved as needed. Now, it's not a trailer home, it is literally a small version of any house! Cool, right? It has a small kitchen, small bedroom, a small bathroom, and a small living space all in one place, probably the size of the average larger shed. The buildings even have a pitched roof that is enough space for sleeping. It's pretty amazing. I love how efficient the home is. Lots of multipurpose ways of using the spaces. I am obsessed with watching the cast make multipurpose items for these tiny houses. After all, over the years, I have had my fair share of using my creativity to figure out how to multipurpose items in my smaller home.
After watching the show last week, I had the idea to explore the benefits of living in a smaller home (not a tiny house) and create a blog post with my results. Here they are.
Saves You Time:
- You can do other hobbies more often. If you like to hike, travel or even just be able to relax more and work less.
- It takes less time to clean the different rooms since each room is not too big that you can't clean it in an hour or two.
- Less mowing the lawn, unless you like to mow the lawn.
- If you like to mow, it will take you less time to mow if you have a smaller lot.
- Less gardening, unless you like to garden.
- You will have time to complete all the tasks you have to do since they are not that many.
Helps You Not Procrastinate:
- You need to take care of the clutter now. If you keep clutter around, you won't have any room to move.
Saves You Money:
- You can save more money for retirement
- The tasks you need help with around the house are a lot smaller than a larger house.
- You don't need as much money to live so you can make less money and enjoy life more.
- Cheaper to heat and cool your home than a larger home.
- You can only buy items that are good quality and have a multipurpose, so you shop less.
Great for the Environment:
- A smaller home means you will have a smaller environmental footprint.
- You will most likely generate less trash in a smaller home.
That's lots of benefits, right? People who live this lifestyle, usually love to be outdoors, love spending time with friends and family and wish not to do a lot of chores when it comes to taking care of their home. So, living in a smaller home is ideal for them. My favorite benefit is that it helps save me money. My rule, when I go out, is "the items I buy must either a replacement item or a multipurpose item". By using this rule, I stay on a budget easier and I don't feel guilty when I purchase an item. I hope you enjoyed this post.
Do you have a smaller home? What are your reasons for living in a smaller home? Please leave a comment below.
Please note these are affiliate links through Amazon, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn affiliate fees if you decide to make a purchase.